List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Another [OT] Hardware Post
From:       Orvar Korvar <knatte_fnatte_tjatte () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2011-02-24 3:50:09

Erik,
What is driving my Sandybridge desire is I want to build a SunRay server for home \
use, also doubling as a ZFS file server, and some simple gaming.

If I can replace all computers at home, with SunRays I have saved power. Say each PC \
uses 100 watt at idle, that could be 300Watt at idle. If I replace them with a SunRay \
server that idles at 50watt, I have saved lots of power.

I want the server to be powerful, but excellent graphics performance is not \
important, but I want rudimentary graphics ability: 1080p, Compiz, etc. Sandybridge \
is powerful CPU, so I can do some heavy compilations and development, and also SunRay \
will benefit from powerful CPU.

I also want a ZFS server (the raid discs are normally powered off)

I suspect a Sandybridge with integrated graphics is powerful and idles at 50watt. AMD \
with separate graphics card is not as powerful as Sandybridge, and uses lots of \
power. AMD bulldozer could be an option, but then I need a discrete graphics card \
that sucks up lots of power - so Bulldozer is not an alternative. Maybe \
OpenIndiana/Illumos/someone else could build an open sourced 3D graphics driver for \
Bulldozer? That would be perfect, but probably it will not happen.

So, in my eyes Sandybridge gives lot of cpu power and rudimentary 3D graphics and use \
little power - perfect for SunRay server. I dont see any other option than \
                Sandybridge? Price is not that important, I am willing to pay a \
                premium.