List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] : - (
From:       ken mays <maybird1776 () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-09-30 18:09:08

This is just my opinion,

Sun could have survived under different circumstances, but you have very large \
billion dollar companies to compete. The little guy can only afford to make so many \
mistakes.

Oracle, no matter the negativity, has the resources and clients to sustain a few big \
blows. A company worth $135 billion dollars is what Sun needed to back its financial \
resources which were down to $2 billion dollars. Yes, there was some shakeout from \
the big tree but sometimes it is for the betterment for the people leaving and the \
smaller businesses gaining new talent and great experience. That can help create new \
billion dollar corporate PARTNERS to help Oracle/Sun stay alive and radiant in the \
business world. Hey, everything could be bought up by oil companies!

As for StarOffice 8/9, many legacy Solaris and OpenSolaris users have it and \
OpenOffice 3.2.1/Oracle Officie is great update in its own right. Oracle is doing the \
'value add' Offcie extensions so you can always get the legacy StarOffice quality...

See:
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/043539.html
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-office/oracle-odf-plugin-ds-155370.pdf

~ Ken Mays