List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] : - (
From:       "W. Wayne Liauh" <wp () HawaiiLinux ! org>
Date:       2010-09-30 18:50:06

> On 30 Sep 2010, at 02:44, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> >
> > I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but the
> update 9 of Solaris 10 has finally switched to
> OpenOffice.org.  Thus, it seems that Oracle also
> silently RIP'd StarOffice (actually the decision was
> already made during Sun's time).
>
> IIRC, Sun simply decided that it didn't make business
> sense to give away a non-free (as in beer) product,
> i.e. StarOffice, with a freely-downloadable product,
> i.e. Solaris 10.  StarOffice, now called Oracle Open
> Office, never went away, and is still available to
> buy:
> <http://www.oracle.com/us/products/applications/open-o
> ffice/index.html>
>
> Cheeri,
> Calum.
>
> --
> CALUM BENSON, Interaction Designer     Oracle
> Corporation Ireland Ltd.
> mailto:calum.benson@oracle.com         Solaris
> Desktop Team
> http://blogs.sun.com/calum             +353 1 819
> 9771
>
> Any opinions are personal and not necessarily those
> of Oracle Corp.

Despite Oracle's unequivocal statements that the Oracle Open Office is, at the binary \
level, identical to the freely-downloadable OpenOffice.org, many still think \
otherwise.

Of course, it takes a lot more than just the binary to satisfy a business user.  This \
where the Enterprise Edition of Oracle Open Office comes in.  However, believe or \
not, there are still a large number of intelligent people (and that include almost \
everyone who's running a business) who do not believe in free products.  For those, \
Oracle is also providing the Oracle Open Office Standard Edition at a substantially \
reduced price.  At least you get a peace of mind.

Both the Enterprise Edition and the Standard Edition of the Oracle Open Office allow \
a StarOffice/StarSuite user to seamlessly transition to the OpenOffice.org binary.  \
Thus, from the user's point of view, Oracle Open Office is a continuation (as well as \
the combination) of the previously uncombinable StarOffice and StarSuite (or East and \
West).  But from a technical point of view, both StarOffice and StarSuite are, \
deservedly so, gone, dead, kaput, 6-feet under.  And it took a 30-billion man to do \
that.

Further discussions on this subject will be moved to the Taiwan OpenSolaris Users \
                Group.