List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] : - (
From:       Octave Orgeron <unixconsole () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2010-09-30 15:45:00

Hi,

Contrary to popular believe there are still some major differences between
OpenOffice and the StarOffice code base. StarOffice has closed source bits
around MS Office translation and printer support that are absent in OpenOffice.
I've found that StarOffice is better with MS compatibility than OpenOffice. So
there are still good reasons for buying StarOffice, which is still hands down
cheaper than MS Office. What I find troublesome with a lot of these open source
projects is that it takes contributions from commercial companies to keep these
projects moving and somehow the open source community treats them like dirt.
That's not to say that commercial companies are great at interacting with open
source projects, look at how things turned out between Oracle and the
OpenSolaris community. But at the end of the day, there is not such thing as a
free lunch and the Stallman cool-aide drinkers will have to grow up one day just
as much as the commercial companies have to learn to communicate and
collaborate.

Open source is great for developers and users. But when it comes to quality, you
need good development processes, funding, and architectural direction. These are
things most open source communities lack the ability to facilitate. Even Linux
is at the mercy of fixes and enhancements from commercial companies (Oracle, Red
Hat, Novell, IBM, HP, etc.) to make it work as expected. OpenOffice will
continue to be dependent upon Oracle in some shape or form. Just think about
when the next MS format comes out and makes OpenOffice incompatible. Who is
going to fix that? MS?  At the same time, commercial companies that release open
source code are dependent upon open source developers and users for feedback and
finding bugs in the wild before a commercial release. So it's really a two way
street.

So really the open source community and the commercial companies need each other
equally. As for Oracle, they still have a lot to learn from Sun and the open
source community. Sun was great at developing technology and open sourcing it
for everyone to re-use. But at the same time, Sun has a lot to learn from Oracle
about how to turn a profit from all its IP. If Sun had a better business model
around its software, it would still be around. I think the open source community
has to keep pushing Oracle in the right direction, but not act so sophomoric
about it.

Octave J. Orgeron
Solaris Virtualization Architect and Consultant
Web: http://unixconsole.blogspot.com
E-Mail: unixconsole@yahoo.com