List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    Re: [osol-discuss] Phenom II X6 1090T, AMD 890FX / SB850,
From:       Masafumi Ohta <masafumi.ohta () ctc-g ! co ! jp>
Date:       2010-08-27 3:10:19

Dusan Kysel さんは書きました:
> I was a very satisfied OpenSolaris/ZFS padawan until the Shadows of the Dark Empire \
> covered our Sun in march.
> During these dark times the continuous disturbances in the Source without doubt \
> caused my very Source-sensitive motherboard to completely give up its hope and \
> spirit.
> To support the struggle against expanding Source imperialism I first and foremost \
> have to get back hold of my ZFS data which are tied to the latest zpool and zfs \
> version supported in the final development release 134 (i.e. zpool version 22 and \
> zfs version 4).
> I would like to employ the newest AMD chipset and CPU, i.e.:
> Phenom II X6 1090T
> AMD 890FX / SB850
>
> on the currently only board I know of with ECC memory support
> Asus Crosshair IV Formula
>
> At the end of april, Joe Kotran already queried these forums about OpenSolaris \
> compatibility but no answer has been given yet and neither the HCL provides any \
> usable information:
> https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=477897
>
> I strongly believe the first symptom of OS death is lacking support for even \
> essential new hardware like CPU/chipsets from the main vendors.
> And although I really fell in love with Solaris and would prefer it anytime over \
> Linux or any other Operating System I can not afford being forced into running on \
> old hardware due to lack of any information whether compatibility with recent \
> hardware exists or is at least being worked on.
>
> Can therefore someone please enlighten me whether the aforementioned CPU, chipset \
> and other mobo hardware are supported by 134 or any available version of \
> OpenSolaris or OpenSolaris based distribution and whether any other distribution \
> than OpenSolaris itself provides support for zpool version 22 and zfs version 4 and \
> a migration path from OpenSolaris?
>
> It's pretty hard to believe that nobody in the last 4 months since their launch was \
> able to at least try to boot 134 or some newer builds on AMDs newest CPU and \
> chipset to see whether there are some issues or total lack of compatibility.
> If compatibility is still missing, is anyone at all working on adding it and can \
> they provide some ETA?
> Are any Illumos, Nexenta, Shillix or Belenix project participants involved in \
> developing hardware support, serious testing and updating of the HCL for common \
> hardware at least or are we all still dependent on the whims of Oracle?
>
> =Dusan

Dusan,

I have similar one - Phenom 2x6 1055T + 890GX chipset.(MSI 890GXM-G65)
And I have tried OSOL 134 running on VMware ESXi 4.1 on 1055T + 880G
chipset(GIGABYTE GA-880GM-USB3) ,It doesn't work,LiveCD stops while
booting (workaround is decreasing vCPU core (6→2) editting VM
settings,and after installing,re-increasing vCPU core (2→6).

Anyway let me check this weekend.(perhaps I will try 1055T+880G)

Thanks,

-masafumi
an Leader of Tokyo OpenSolaris User Group