List:       opensolaris-discuss
Subject:    [osol-discuss] Phenom II X6 1090T, AMD 890FX / SB850,
From:       Dusan Kysel <dusan.kysel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-26 18:12:34

I was a very satisfied OpenSolaris/ZFS padawan until the Shadows of the Dark Empire \
covered our Sun in march.

During these dark times the continuous disturbances in the Source without doubt \
caused my very Source-sensitive motherboard to completely give up its hope and \
spirit.

To support the struggle against expanding Source imperialism I first and foremost \
have to get back hold of my ZFS data which are tied to the latest zpool and zfs \
version supported in the final development release 134 (i.e. zpool version 22 and zfs \
version 4).

I would like to employ the newest AMD chipset and CPU, i.e.:
  Phenom II X6 1090T
  AMD 890FX / SB850

on the currently only board I know of with ECC memory support
  Asus Crosshair IV Formula

At the end of april, Joe Kotran already queried these forums about OpenSolaris \
compatibility but no answer has been given yet and neither the HCL provides any \
usable information:

  https://www.opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=477897

I strongly believe the first symptom of OS death is lacking support for even \
essential new hardware like CPU/chipsets from the main vendors.

And although I really fell in love with Solaris and would prefer it anytime over \
Linux or any other Operating System I can not afford being forced into running on old \
hardware due to lack of any information whether compatibility with recent hardware \
exists or is at least being worked on.

Can therefore someone please enlighten me whether the aforementioned CPU, chipset and \
other mobo hardware are supported by 134 or any available version of OpenSolaris or \
OpenSolaris based distribution and whether any other distribution than OpenSolaris \
itself provides support for zpool version 22 and zfs version 4 and a migration path \
from OpenSolaris?

It's pretty hard to believe that nobody in the last 4 months since their launch was \
able to at least try to boot 134 or some newer builds on AMDs newest CPU and chipset \
to see whether there are some issues or total lack of compatibility.

If compatibility is still missing, is anyone at all working on adding it and can they \
provide some ETA?

Are any Illumos, Nexenta, Shillix or Belenix project participants involved in \
developing hardware support, serious testing and updating of the HCL for common \
hardware at least or are we all still dependent on the whims of Oracle?

=Dusan