List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    Re: sudo config handling
From:       "Ralf S. Engelschall" <rse () openpkg ! org>
Date:       2004-08-18 13:52:34

On Wed, Aug 18, 2004, Karl Vogel wrote:

> I just updated my development machine using:
>
> $ openpkg build -P sudo -N "sudo -u cw" -Kua|bash
>
> However, I noticed that the new sudo package (sudo-1.6.8-20040818) moves the
> existing sudoers file to sudoers.rpmsave and installs the rpm supplied file
> as the operational one.
>
> Is this intended?!

Well, I've experiences the same problem today. It certainly is nasty,
but just an unfortunate side-effect of the general rule of installing
.rpmsave files in OpenPKG.

> Wouldn't it be better to install the new config as sudoers.rpmnew and leave
> the user's current config as-is?!

Here for sudo perhaps .rpmnew is better. In general there are pros and
cons for both doing .rpmnew and .rpmsave. For OpenPKG we decided to
use always the .rpmsave approach. It is as reasonable as the .rpmnew
approach, so we could also have decided to use always the .rpmnew
approach. OTOH it is breaking POLA if one mixes the two approaches,
hence we have to life with those nasty side-effects we experienced
here. But keep in mind that a similar side-effect (just vice versa) can
be experienced if would be using always .rpmnew (think about a broken
or unsecure package which we want to unbreak or secure with a new
configuration).
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com