List:       openpkg-dev
Subject:    RE: sudo config handling
From:       Karl Vogel <karl.vogel () seagha ! com>
Date:       2004-08-18 14:05:43

> > Wouldn't it be better to install the new config as
> sudoers.rpmnew and leave
> > the user's current config as-is?!
>
> Here for sudo perhaps .rpmnew is better. In general there are pros and
> cons for both doing .rpmnew and .rpmsave. For OpenPKG we decided to
> use always the .rpmsave approach.

I guess this is one of those situations where neither solution is
optimal. Sticking with 1 approach might not be such a bad idea indeed.

<RANT>
Pity RPM doesn't handle merging of configs, not that that always works.

(Tru64 installs 3 copies of a config file, for example if you have a
config called /etc/rc.config, there will also be 2 other files called
/etc/.new..rc.config and /etc/.proto..rc.config -- the upgrade scripts
use this to do a 3 way merge of changes in your edited config).
</RANT>