List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] Re: if adding things to OOo was dead simple
From:       "G. Roderick Singleton" <grsingleton () openoffice ! org>
Date:       2004-04-20 3:11:12

On Mon, 2004-04-19 at 13:58, Tamar Granor wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 15:21:02 -0400, "G. Roderick Singleton"
> <grsingleton@openoffice.org> wrote:
>
> >BTW, I think the current defaults are fine. Not to chatty and not too
> >terse. However if you think it worthwhile file an enhancement issue.
>
> Seems to me we've had a lot of discussion around here about what the
> appropriate defaults are for the various features meant to guide
> users, but that some people really hate. Maybe what's needed is a
> chance to decide during installation. If the choices were really clear
> (like "Help me as much as you can," "Help me with tough stuff" and
> "Leave me alone"--not really those wording, but those ideas), people
> could make an informed decision and get most of the defaults right for
> their situation.

If I thought it would work I would back the scheme to the hilt. However
just going through the messages in users for the past few hours, I find
that our users cannot handle the selection of associations correctly and
after we changed the installation behaviour from windows well-behaved to
select the boxes if you want OOo to take over associations. Sorry I
can't see that your plan would work no matter how much we want it to.
This observed behaviour has prompted me to attempt to automate windows
installation using response files so as to keep hands off. Don't know
whether that will work either but like your suggesions a step in the
right direction. Maybe ...
--
G. Roderick Singleton <grsingleton@openoffice.org>