List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: backgrounds
From:       Robert Black Eagle <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2003-12-23 20:24:58

Comments inline.

PID Jmail wrote:

>> This is getting confusing.
>
> Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this will clear things up.
>
> --
>> You say you choose text but the graphic gets
>> selected.  Then you say you can't see the graphic and it doesn't print
>> either.  You can export to your heart's content, but you will do nothing
>> if you don't Insert > Graphic > From File and put it in the document.
>
> Actually, I was trying two different methods of insertion and must not
> have made that clear.
>
> Method 1: Insert > Graphic > From File
> This is the one that allowed resizing and positioning of the graphic, but
> no matter what formatting was applied (background, watermark, etc.) the
> graphic would always be selected before text on the page.

For this method, you are stuck with clicking outside the graphic location
and navigating by arrow keys.  I have found no way to make the text read as
"on top."

> Method 2: Page > Format > Background > As Graphic > Browse (insert) file
> This one had two different results depending on the type of graphic file I
> used. When I inserted a Gif file, it showed up correctly in the Preview
> window in Page > Format > Background, but did not show up in the document
> or when printed. When I inserted a Png file, it did not show up in
> Preview, but did show up in the document and when printing - this is what
> I finally ended up using -> PNG file using Method 2.

This sounds to me like a bug.  Any graphic format should show up both on
screen and when printing.  Please report it to issuezilla and let us know
the issue number.  If you find this difficult, I will run my own test and
report if I find the same issue, but it might be better coming from you
with comments from others who test it.

> --
>> It doesn't matter if it's gif, png, jpg, or whatever.  It will import.
>> Now, if you have it imported and click anywhere on the graphic, the
>> graphic
>> will be selected.  If you now right-click on the graphic and select
>> "Graphic" from the pop-up menu, you will be presented with a large number
>> of options about what you can do with the graphic (position it, anchor
>> it, resize it -- it's likely too large -- and crop empty space if you
>> have it
>> in the graphic).  If the graphic includes a lot of waste white space, it
>> can leave you with the feeling that you clicked the text and got the
>> graphic selected.  Get rid of the white space you don't want by using the
>> crop function.  Now you can select the text.
>
> I did all of that and was able to figure it out easily enough.
> Unfortunately, I need the white space for the biz correspondence templates
> to function properly - the white space helps me verify that the page is
> positioned correctly/accurately.

I make sure the background ("Watermark") graphic is properly positioned on
the page and anchored so it stays put (not an easy task), but remove all
other space I don't need just to avoid the problem.  I have never seen a
situation where a background image is required to verify page positioning.
In fact, I can't understand what youa re saying by this.

If you would give a detailed description of what you are doing, I can test
it on my own and see if there might be a solution.  Four eyes work better
than two for finding solutions.

--
Robert Black Eagle
The Sun is Risen - Yule