List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: backgrounds
From:       PID Jmail <jmailpid () medwi ! com>
Date:       2003-12-23 0:15:11

> This is getting confusing.

Sorry for the confusion. Hopefully this will clear things up.

--
> You say you choose text but the graphic gets
> selected.  Then you say you can't see the graphic and it doesn't print
> either.  You can export to your heart's content, but you will do nothing if
> you don't Insert > Graphic > From File and put it in the document.

Actually, I was trying two different methods of insertion and must not have
made that clear.

Method 1: Insert > Graphic > From File
This is the one that allowed resizing and positioning of the graphic, but no
matter what formatting was applied (background, watermark, etc.) the graphic
would always be selected before text on the page.

Method 2: Page > Format > Background > As Graphic > Browse (insert) file
This one had two different results depending on the type of graphic file I
used. When I inserted a Gif file, it showed up correctly in the Preview
window in Page > Format > Background, but did not show up in the document or
when printed. When I inserted a Png file, it did not show up in Preview, but
did show up in the document and when printing - this is what I finally ended
up using -> PNG file using Method 2.

--
> It doesn't matter if it's gif, png, jpg, or whatever.  It will import.
> Now, if you have it imported and click anywhere on the graphic, the graphic
> will be selected.  If you now right-click on the graphic and select
> "Graphic" from the pop-up menu, you will be presented with a large number
> of options about what you can do with the graphic (position it, anchor it,
> resize it -- it's likely too large -- and crop empty space if you have it
> in the graphic).  If the graphic includes a lot of waste white space, it
> can leave you with the feeling that you clicked the text and got the
> graphic selected.  Get rid of the white space you don't want by using the
> crop function.  Now you can select the text.

I did all of that and was able to figure it out easily enough.
Unfortunately, I need the white space for the biz correspondence templates
to function properly - the white space helps me verify that the page is
positioned correctly/accurately.

--
> However, if your contradictory complaints have nothing to do with what I
> mentioned, please clarify just what the problem really is.  I mean it
> cannot be both that you have a graphic that keeps getting selected and not
> having a graphic at the same time.  That would be like me saying I want you
> to move my (non-existent) car.

You are correct. I was using two different methods to insert the graphic. It
was kind of like me saying, go move my car but not telling you which one it
was. ;-)

Thanks for the response.

--
Aj