List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: Re: backgrounds
From:       Robert Black Eagle <rbe () flash ! net>
Date:       2003-12-21 22:52:11

Aj Dumas wrote:

>> I think that you have one hack and one alternative:
>> The hack is to use the keyboard to select the text e.g. Ctrl+Shift+arrows
>> highlight your text.
>> The alternative is to make the graphic a background image of the page
> "Format"
>> ->"Page" then "Background" and change "As color" to "As graphic".
>
> Thanks for the response CPH. I would prefer the alternative over the hack.
> I have tried what you suggested (Page Background Graphic) but have the
> following problem - it doesn't show up. I browse/select a Gif file which
> shows up in the preview window while in Format Page, but does not show up
> in the main document window or when printing?
>
> IF I could get it to show up, I would have one more potential problem -
> sizing and positioning the background graphic. I know that I have the
> options to position the graphic by any of the midpoints or corners of the
> page, or the center. However, I would like to be able to numerically
> position the graphic.
>
> Now, I can make this work without the numeric position if I need to, but I
> need to know a couple of things about how OOo places the graphic...
> Assume I have exported a Gif (or Png or Jpeg - whichever works best with
> OOo) from Photoshop based on a 8.5"x11" image at 300ppi.
> 1) does OOo place the background graphic at the edges of the page or the
> edges of the margins? This would effect positioning of the background
> elements on the page.
> 2) does OOo try to rescale the image?
>
> With this information, I can design the graphic such that the elements are
> positioned correctly on the page using the "Center" position in
> Format>Page>Background.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.

This is getting confusing.  You say you choose text but the graphic gets
selected.  Then you say you can't see the graphic and it doesn't print
either.  You can export to your heart's content, but you will do nothing if
you don't Insert > Graphic > From File and put it in the document.

It doesn't matter if it's gif, png, jpg, or whatever.  It will import.
Now, if you have it imported and click anywhere on the graphic, the graphic
will be selected.  If you now right-click on the graphic and select
"Graphic" from the pop-up menu, you will be presented with a large number
of options about what you can do with the graphic (position it, anchor it,
resize it -- it's likely too large -- and crop empty space if you have it
in the graphic).  If the graphic includes a lot of waste white space, it
can leave you with the feeling that you clicked the text and got the
graphic selected.  Get rid of the white space you don't want by using the
crop function.  Now you can select the text.

However, if your contradictory complaints have nothing to do with what I
mentioned, please clarify just what the problem really is.  I mean it
cannot be both that you have a graphic that keeps getting selected and not
having a graphic at the same time.  That would be like me saying I want you
to move my (non-existent) car.

--
Robert Black Eagle
The Sun is Risen - Yule