List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: importing tab/space delimited files into calc
From:       Bruce Bowler <bbowler () bigelow ! org>
Date:       2003-12-08 14:46:06

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 11:15:34 +0500, Bill McKelvie put fingers to keyboard
and said:

> Dear Bruce,
> Have you tried this?  (It worked with on XP):
>
> File -> Open -> Files of Type: "Text CSV (*.csv, *.txt)"  (about 1/2 way
> down
> the list)
> ->Open (after choosing your file of course).  You should get a Text Import
> dialogue.
> The file name still seems to need a .csv or .txt extension.  If your file
> doesn't then I'm stuck.

Thanks for the above, you're right it works fine if the file is .csv or
.txt.  My problem is that it's neither of those and for various reasons,
I can't rename it (well I could, but then I'd have to rename it back for
processing by another program, for which we don't have source and expects
a certain file extension.)

Excel doesn't suffer from this problem.

I'm SOOOOOOOOO close to dumping M$ but this problem and relatively poor (I
know it's new so I'm not complaining yet) macro/macro
recording capabilities are likely to keep at least part of me stuck on M$
for the forseeable future.

> I had the a similar problem and the solution was not obvious to
me. As
> a novice user, I would have appreciated an import sub-menu under the
> File Menu.  Do others think it is worth filing an issue on this?

YES! with the removal of the filetype restriction.

--
Bruce Bowler        | I am afraid of losing my obscurity. Genuineness