List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] modularized openoffice.org
From:       laurent.duperval () microcell ! ca
Date:       2003-02-04 12:20:53

On  3 Feb, Anthony Valentine wrote:
> Personally, I love OOo, but I do find it to be slow and bloated with a
> ton of features that I will probably never use.  Even from one use to
> another my needs change; one day all I need to do is write simple memos,
> the next I'm importing database tables into Calc to make charts for an
> Impress presentation.
>
> I think that the methodology behind the modularity of the Linux kernel
> is a superb idea.  Compile in what you want, leave out what you don't.
> Better yet, compile it all as a collection of modules so that code isn't
> loaded until it's needed/requested.  Set it up so that you can specify
> what modules to load a startup, so the functions that you use most often
> are already there and ready.

Word Perfect used to work like that in DOS. The ill effect is that whenever
you used something for the first time, it would load it up from the floppy.
Sloooow.

It would be nice to see some of these good ideas from yore make their back
into modern applications.

Laurent Duperval <laurent.duperval@microcell.ca>

GUMMIDGES'S LAW
    The amount of expertise varies in inverse proportion to the number
    of statements understood by the general public.