List:       openoffice-users
Subject:    Re: [users] modularized openoffice.org
From:       Alex Fisher <alexf-ooo () hypermax ! net ! au>
Date:       2003-02-04 21:57:17

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 22:20, laurent.duperval@microcell.ca wrote:

> Word Perfect used to work like that in DOS. The ill effect is that whenever
> you used something for the first time, it would load it up from the floppy.
> Sloooow.

:) I used to get around that on an AT by having the high memory configured as
a ram disk. WP was started by a batch file which loaded the entire floppy
onto the ram disk, so every time it needed to load something else, it
accessed it from there. Loading was almost instantaneous.

> It would be nice to see some of these good ideas from yore make their back
> into modern applications.

So true. But remember, many of these ideas were designed to conserve memory.
With the amount of memory available today, programmers don't see the need to
do these things now. :(

Alex Fisher
OpenOffice.org Marketing
Community Contact