List:       openoffice-discuss
Subject:    Re: printing problems in both Linux and win98
From:       Petr Mladek <pmladek () suse ! cz>
Date:       2003-05-14 12:53:08

On Wednesday 14 of May 2003 02:50, Christian J. Einfeldt wrote:
> Here's my problem:
>
> envelopes:  cuts off half of the return envelope.  In other words, OOo
> obviously seems to think that the envelope page begins about 1.5 inches or so
> left of the actual beginning of the actual physical envelope (as opposed to
> the image of the envelope).  Curiously, the print preview page shows that the
> page will print fine.  My envelopes are attached as separate pages at the end
> of my letters.
>
> letter pages: letters print with an additional 1.5 inches or so of white space
> above the top of the page.  Also, the bottom margin prints at only .5 inches
> or so.  In other words, the whole letter appears to print about 1 to 1.5
> inches lower on the actual physical page.  Again, curiously, the print preview
> page shows that the page will print fine.

[...]

> I have been using my OOo successfully up until last Friday, when I stupidly
> tried to install SuSE Linux 8.2 as an update to 8.0 on a SuSE Linux computer
> which was NETWORKED to my Win98 box.  I had been printing docs just fine prior
> to my botched update attempt.  Then I had to save my data files and do a clean
> install.  Now SuSE 8.2 is working just fine, but I have to go back and put in
> all my settings again on all my apps.  Somehow, I must have done it correctly
> the first time that 8.0 was installed, but I can't figure it out again with
> 8.2.

The problem could be that SuSE 8.0 uses LPRNG by default.
Whereas SuSE 8.2 uses CUPS printing system by default.

I have heard that some print drivers from CUPS has similar
problem.

You can try to find any suggestions in the SDB:
http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/index.html

Or please try to contact the SuSE's installation support.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Petr Mladek
developer / vývojáø
SuSE CR, s.r.o.                             e-mail: pmladek@suse.cz
Drahobejlova 27                             tel:+420 296 542 373
190 00 Praha 9                              fax:+420 296 542 374
Czech Republic                              http://www.suse.cz/