List:       opennms-discuss
Subject:    [opennms-discuss] Notifications of threshold activity using
From:       Michael Little <mlittle.home () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-01-07 17:50:27

While we were running the 1.6.x line, we were able to include plain
text in the ds-label field of the threshold definition. Notifications
were configured to use %parm[label]% as part of the message.

I realize that ds-label is supposed to be used to provide the
datasource where the actual label can be found. We were taking
advantage of the undocumented "feature" where if the actual label
couldn't be determined, the value of ds-label was used instead.

This was especially useful for expression thresholds where the "ds"
can be huge, but also useful for traditional thresholds where the 19
character ds limitation exists.

The problem, after an upgrade to 1.8.7-1, is that the undocumented
"feature" has been fixed and the notification now refers to "Unknown".

Don't know if it makes any difference, but these are JMX thresholds
using the old style threshold after collection.

I understand that I can't expect to rely on an undocumented feature,
so I'm trying to figure out a way to work around the "correct"
behavior without having our development team add a bunch of string
type attributes to their code.

Any ideas?

--Michael