List:       openjdk-jmx-dev
Subject:    Re: jmx-dev RFR: 8297794: Deprecate JMX Management Applets for Removal
From:       Daniel Fuchs <dfuchs () openjdk ! org>
Date:       2022-11-30 14:46:06

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 14:24:36 GMT, Kevin Walls <kevinw@openjdk.org> wrote:

> MLetObjectInputStream and MLetParser are not public classes, so thinking they are \
> not part of the public API we need to deprecate before removal.

Whether a class is public exported or not has no real relationship with whether it \
should have the `@Deprecated` annotation or not. It is better to add the \
`@Deprecated` annotation eagerly to all classes that are part of the feature being \
deprecated, if they are only used for the implementation of that feature, and if the \
thinking is that they would be removed if the feature is removed. Plus it usually \
simplifies things as it usually minimizes the places where you need to suppress \
warnings.