List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Creating update tarballs
From:       Ben Goren <ben () trumpetpower ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 15:39:38

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 11:10:08AM -0400, Rod Dorman wrote:

> What I'm trying  to find out is, having  just rebuilt everything
> on the  fast machine do  I have to  do "cd /usr/src/etc  && nice
> make release" or can I just point DESTDIR at / and run maketars?

Why not look in the Makefile in /usr/src/etc and see what you'd be
leaving out?

You also sound  a bit concerned that things might  not go right if
you don't  follow the  official proceedures. Which do  you prefer:
saving an  hour or so of  extra compile time, or  sleeping well at
night?

Most of the time, there's  no great hurry to upgrade systems. When
there is a hurry, you really  want to disable access to vulnerable
systems  until  they've  been   upgraded  and  make  certain  that
everything is sound before you reconnect them.

If you  want my recommendation,  make use of batch  (1). It'll run
the whole thing  in the background nice (1) -ly  and email you the
results when it's done. When you  get the email, scroll through to
make sure there weren't any glitches and proceed from there.

The observant  will note  that it's  no big deal  to make  a shell
script that  does exactly what  release (8) tells you  to do. With
judicious use  of ``&&'' (see sh  (1)) and echo (1),  you can make
sure it  only does things  if everything is  okay and gives  you a
nice  running commentary  or log  files  or whatever  you like  to
monitor things. Create such a shell  script, invoke it with batch,
and your  total involvement from learning  of a patch to  having a
burned bootable CD  will consist of typing a  dozen characters and
sticking the  blank CD in the  drive. Of course, it'll take  a few
hours, but there's nothing stopping  you from going about the rest
of the day  while the computer takes care  of everything else. Or,
kick it off in the evening and reap the results in the morning.

The truly ambitious  could even automate the  process of untarring
things over  remote machines, but  I'd personally do that  by hand
unless I had a *lot* of machines to upgrade.

Cheers,

b&

--
Ben Goren