List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    Re: Creating update tarballs
From:       "Rod Dorman" <rodd () polylogics ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 15:10:08

Ben Goren wrote:
> My preferred method is to do a  make release on a fast machine (or
> let it  go overnight or  whatever) to get  a set of  tarballs, and
> then use those tarballs to update the slow machines. It's actually
> trivial at that point to make  a bootable CD that's not completely
> unlike  the official  ones, or  you could  just untar  the desired
> tarballs over the existing system.

I've been booting off the 'official' 3.1 CD and (U)pdating via FTP
from the fast machine.

> I'll do this even if there's just one file to patch. It might take
> more time by the clock and burn more CPU cycles, but it takes less
> of my  time and brainpower  to figure everything out. That,  and I
> sleep better  at night because I  don't have to worry  if I missed
> something. Just be sure to scan the advisory for ``etc''....

I've got no issues about recompiling everything on the fast machine,
I don't know how this thread went off in that direction.

What I'm trying to find out is, having just rebuilt everything on
the fast machine do I have to do "cd /usr/src/etc && nice make release"
or can I just point DESTDIR at / and run maketars?

--
rodd@polylogics.com
           "Hangers on though you be friends be more humble