List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    RE: Significant words in Theo's interview
From:       "Rob Martin" <bmartin () joaptsc ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2001-11-28 19:43:04

I'm not interested in a flame battle and I fear many more posts on
this topic will make me guilty of beating the dead horse.  But ...

I didn't mention Linux.  Or are you attributing open-source purity to
linux?  I certainly wouldn't.  I've used linux for years and if I
cherished it, I wouldn't be mucking around with your cherished
OpenBSD.  I'm looking for an alternative to linux, because it has
gotten too glamorous.

> has profited immensely from commercial involvement, and it would be
> nowhere without development funds from the companies that
> profit from it.
>
> How you could compare MS-licensing with OpenBSD asking
> people to simply
> buy a cheap CD to show support for the project is beyond me.

I'm trying (unsuccessfully) to make a very specific point.  Money is
not the only way open-source gets supported.  Money is good.  Money to
OpenBSD is great.  But don't imply I'm inconsiderate/stingy/stupid
because I don't see the need to buy a CD set, YET!!!  I haven't gotten
the install floppy to boot yet, why would my first thought be to throw
money at the problem.  I'm giving something even more valuable to me:
my time.  I have zero experience with a running OpenBSD system (thus,
no opinion on its usefulness TO ME).  I am spending considerable time
(and willing to spend more) helping troubleshoot the boot floppy
problem.

Maybe someday I'll meet you and be honored to shake your hand for
contributing by buying a "cheap CD."  However, if that is all you've
done, you haven't done enough, in my opinion.