List:       openbsd-misc
Subject:    RE: Significant words in Theo's interview
From:       Steve Shockley <stshockley () ddsharris ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 19:52:25

> I'm amazed at this "pay-before-you-use," M$-like mentality.

I don't think anybody is demanding that you buy a CD before you try out
OpenBSD.  Even with Microsoft, you can try out most of their (business)
products before buying them.  Shoot, you can download the source, change
OpenBSD to your own name, and sell it as a closed-source product if you
like.

> I could almost believe the floppy-based
> install is broken (and
> ignored) because it competes with CD-ROM-based install.

I think the primary method most people use (with a high-speed connection) is
booting from a floppy and installing via FTP.  If they wanted to force you
to buy the CD, they could always simply remove the binaries from the FTP
site, and only let us download source...

> Very Microsoftish.

OpenBSD and Microsoft don't even compete in the same market space, nor do
they have the same goals.  Microsoft is a traditional business which
develops and sells a product to make a profit.  The OpenBSD project develops
a product, and raises funds simply to continue development of the product.

> ...implies smartness is
> associated with purchasing blowfish stickers.

Like the man on TV says, "Own one and you'll understand."  <g>

> > You sure you're not just blowing off fish over your "currently" bad
> > experience with steam?
>
> Look's like God's answer was "NO!"

Watch it, some of my best friends blow fish for a living.