List:       ms-cryptoapi
Subject:    Obtaining OSS/ASN.1 error message string
From:       Sergeev Eduard <sergeev () SOFTLAB ! RU>
Date:       2001-11-26 15:43:10

Hi!

It will be very helpfull for me if somebody give me a piece of good advice
on the occasion of this subject:

GetLastError might return an ASN.1 encoding/decoding error (Windows 2000 or
later) or an OSS encoding/decoding error (Windows 95, Windows 98 or Windows
NT 4.0 or earlier), which error code with short description can be found in
WinError.h file from MS SDK. But, as error message (description) of this
aggregate of errors in the form of resource string isn't included in system
message-table resource, it can not be obtain by using FormatMessage API
function with flag FORMAT_MESSAGE_FROM_SYSTEM. If I am right, sought
resourses included in some ASN.1/OSS DLL.

What DLL's handle has be passed in lpSource parameter of FormatMessage?
Is there some different way to obtain OSS/ASN.1 error message string?

PS The method must work on NT 4.0/2000/XP platforms.