List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Re: Q: Cancelling posts [OFFTOPIC]
From:       "James M. Cape" <jcape () jcinteractive ! com>
Date:       1998-11-28 12:40:27

mlj wrote:

> When I cancel a post what exactly am I doing with it?  Am I removing it
> completely, so that it can't be viewed by anybody, anywhere?  B/C it
> seems like I've cancelled posts that have been replied to several days
> later.  If I've cancelled the message how can it be replied to(at a
> later date)?

Well, when you post a message it gets relayed all around the world by
other news servers, like a massive game of hot potato (except that
everybody gets to keep a potato). Your cancel message follows the potato
around, telling everyone to throw it away. If someone is able to take a
bite from the potato before the cancel message gets to him/her (i.e.
able to see and reply to your message before the cancel message gets to
his/her news server), then your cancel message will have arrived too
late. And because cancel messages can only cancel messages you sent, it
won't apply to the replyer's message.

BTW, the netscape.public.* groups are intended for development on the
open-source version of Navigator, called Mozilla
[http://www.mozilla.org].

    Jim Cape
    http://www.jcinteractive.com

    "All animals are equal, some animals