List:       mozilla-general
Subject:    Offline browsing in 5.0?
From:       Marcus Loane <thebiz () usa ! net>
Date:       1998-11-28 12:28:43

In earlier versions of Netscape it was possible to browse sites which
were in the cache even though the connection had been hung up. This was
useful to cut down on phone charges - I could quickly load up a few
pages, disconnect and then browse them offline. This no longer works in
version 4 (maybe 3) onwards. It does not matter if I click the offline
button on the status bar or change my reload pages preferences, the
behaviour is now completely inconsistent. Occasionally a page will load
offline from the cache. Sometimes the offline button has to be pressed
first, sometimes a dialogue pops up saying "using cached copy" (a
pointless time waster), other times I cannot view a page which I have
just viewed a few seconds ago and I know is in the cache and no, my
cache is not full. Hopefully in 5 this will be fixed. Why can't it be
set up to always use what is in the cache if not currently connected or
prompt to connect (ie actually dialup) if a cached copy is not
available?
--
Marcus