List:       meego-dev
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-dev] MeeGo Reconstructed - a plan of action and
From:       Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster () pelagicore ! com>
Date:       2011-10-05 8:27:25

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Stefan Werden <Stefan.Werden@open-slx.de>wrote:

> Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com> hat am 4. Oktober 2011 um
> 20:42
> geschrieben:
>
> > On Tue, Oct 4, 2011 at 6:48 PM, Stefan Werden
> > <Stefan.Werden@open-slx.de>wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > switching to debian would mean making a complete new projekt.
> >

> > Nope, it would merely mean adding software to the Debian project, it
> > wouldn't require a new project at all. Debian would host the
> infrastructure
> > (it has its own IRC, build farm, hosting, project software, email lists,
> > funding, non-profit status, social contract, shell accounts, git server,
> svn
> > server, well, you get the picture.) You could turn Mer into a Debian
> blend
> > for example: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends or you could become
> > Debian derivative: http://wiki.debian.org/Derivatives/Census
> >
> > Debian derivatives currently dominate the Linux landscape. Of the top
> four
> > distros on Distro Watch, three of them are deb based. This means you get
> > huge development ecosystem when you use debs, as well as a lot of users.
>

> Distrowatch are server and dektop disties. The special thing in MeeGo was
> that
> the focus was on emerging devices.

And how exactly did it do that? By using Connman? By using an "embedded"
Linux kernel? Btrfs? By being "small"? What exactly makes MeeGo different
from other "desktop" distros? Or was it just a little bit of marketing?

> So this makes it special, because it does not
> need to care about the old stuff. So bcoming a debian flavour feels not
> really
> like an option to me.

That's fine. It doesn't have to be an option for you. It should be described
as a potential option for others on this list however since they may not
have made up their minds yet and the FUD that is being thrown about here is
misleading.

Regards,

Jeremiah