List:       meego-dev
Subject:    Re: [MeeGo-dev] MeeGo Reconstructed - a plan of action and
From:       Samuel Stirtzel <s.stirtzel () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2011-10-05 7:42:29

Hi,
sorry for re-sending this Jeremiah, but I've missed that this mail was
not sent to the list, my bad.

2011/10/4 Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@pelagicore.com>:

> > Can a mobile
> > segment distro like MeeGo be really compared with a desktop segment
> > distro like e.g. embedded Ubuntu? (This is not relative to your
> > message but a general rhetorical question.)
>
> I don't understand what you mean by "segment" here. And I also don't
> understand what you're referring to with "embedded Ubuntu."

What I meant is that a embedded desktop OS targets another audience
than the embedded mobile OS (or in other terms a different market
segment).

Well I'm sorry for using the term embedded Ubuntu, I've assumed that
others refer to projects like Linaro-Ubuntu [1], the TI-OMAP Ubuntu
[2] and in general ARM Ubuntu as "embedded Ubuntu" too.

> > Well I didn't use embedded Debian as example because Emdebian mailing
> > lilsts seem to be pretty dead [2].
>
> Embedian is very much alive. More
> here: http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2011/12/#emdebian

Oh I see, I just wondered because the mailing lists seems to endure a recession.

> > > Before it was just big companies that could create their own Linux
> > > distros
> > > (before that everyone had their bespoke UNIX distro) nowadays
> > > fragmentation
> > > is brought to you by every Tom, Dick and Harry with an OBS login.
> > > I've been down the fragmentation road before. It always ends with
> > > retracing
> > > your path back to the main highway.
> >
> > There seems to be much standardization work going on in the Yocto
> > Project / OpenEmbedded Core (see [3], also Carsten already mentioned
> > the Yocto Project in context of governance), anyone evaluated it?
>
> Yocto is very interesting indeed, as is OpenEmbedded, though the claim is
> that Yocto is "open embedded done right." But for the purposes of a distro I
> don't think Yocto is the silver bullet people are looking for. Firstly, it
> seems focused on Intel Atom BSPs and overall seems designed to help in board
> bring-up. Yes you can create a complete distro, but like a misused OBS
> repository, creating your own complete distro is not a good idea. Unless of
> course yours is THE ONE.

Your statement about Yocto is right, but OpenEmbedded isn't
OpenEmbedded anymore, alot has changed since this statement was true.
OpenEmbedded Core (the new OpenEmbedded) and the Yocto Project merged
their efforts and created an unified code base (see [3] and [4]), also
OpenEmbedded Core + Yocto supports a larger audience (see [5] for the
approved list of BSP layers).

In OSS systems there should not be a THE ONE distribution, for end
users this is out of the question, they might not want to create their
own distro, but (IMHO) developers should not be restricted in this
direction.

> > The Yocto Project / OpenEmbedded was discussed before in the IVI
> > mailing list (see [4]), but it lacks any technical explanations and
> > arguments why it cannot be used / or get adapted, also OpenEmbedded
> > progressed into the new OpenEmbedded Core Project (the next release is
> > just one step away).
>
> https://wiki.yoctoproject.org/wiki/FAQ
> OpenEmbedded is widely used in commercial embedded systems. Those systems
> tend to not be open source systems and end up costing lots of money.
> Regards,
> Jeremiah

Sorry I don't get your point here, no offense but if I would say:
"Debian is widely used in commercial desktop systems." Would your
statement be the same?
If you care about the patches, i see quite an amount of users sending
patches back to OpenEmbedded Core and Yocto.

[1] https://launchpad.net/linaro-ubuntu/+milestone/11.09
[2] https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ti-omap
[3] http://www.linuxfoundation.org/news-media/announcements/2011/03/yocto-project-aligns-technology-openembedded-and-gains-corporate-co
 [4] http://www.yoctoproject.org/projects/openembedded-core