List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpmsrate & task-kde discussion: default KDE desktop
From:       Frederik Himpe <fhimpe () telenet ! be>
Date:       2007-02-13 8:57:06

On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:31:02PM +0100, Fabrice FACORAT wrote:
> Le lundi 12 février 2007, Frederik Himpe a écrit :
> > I did a Cooker installation last week (both KDE and Gnome desktops), and I
> > have some comments about the choice of applications which were installed by
> > default. I have strongly the impression that rpmsrate does need some
> > serious clean-up, to reflect the state of applications today.
> >
> > Anyway, here are my comments about KDE applications which were installed by
> > default.
> >
> > 1. In a default KDE applications, there are at least 3 different picture
> > viewers installed (4 if you also count Digikam/Showfoto). This is really
> > too much:
> > kdegraphics-kuickshow (task-kde)
> > kdegraphics-kview (rpmsrate)
> > gwenview (rpmsrate)
> > digikam (rpmsrate: digikamimageplugins kipi-plugins)
> >
> > Please only keep gwenview and digikam: they are the only ones which are
> > being actively maintained, and have the best features and user interfaces.
>
> no, use kview instead of gwenview/kdegraphics-kuickshow because it's the only
> one working with 3d desktop

Installer could be made smart to install kview only if 3D desktop is
enabled. Better of course is to fix 3D desktop or the apps, so they work
correctly.

Anyway, are you sure it is not working? Here there is a screenshot which
shows gwenview working in Beryl:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/archangel_raphael/272151933/
I could not immediately find pointers on the net of general problems
between gwenview and beryl, maybe it's a Mandriva specific problem that
can be fixed easily?

> > 3. kover (rpmsrate): application is dead for about 3 years, and is not
> > rated very high (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9968).
> > People are better of using something like Scribus, Karbon or OOo Draw to
> > make their cd covers (e.g.
> > http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=24223 -
> > http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=25107)
>
> are you crazy ?

I'm only giving my opinion to start a discussion, I'm not trying to
dictate some kind of "absolute truth"...

Anyway, I think we should package these useful kind of templates for
programs like OpenOffice.org.

> There's no equivalent, and kover is doing the job well enough for me. So
> unless you have another cover application, don't ask me to install scribus (
> qt ), karbon ( full koffice ), and even OODraw ( mammouth )

I am only talking about default install. OOo Draw is already in default
install, so if you choose to remove it, I guess you are smart enough to
know that you would need an alternative like kover for your cd covers.
Maybe something in rpmsrate like: (if cat cd-burner and not cat office
-> install kover)?

--
Frederik Himpe