List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpmsrate & task-kde discussion: default KDE desktop
From:       Ric <fhj52.info () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-13 7:18:03

On Monday, 12 February 2007 22:49, Tomasz Paweł Gajc wrote:
> Dnia poniedziałek, 12 lutego 2007, Frederik Himpe napisał:
> > I did a Cooker installation last week (both KDE and Gnome
> > desktops), and I have some comments about the choice of
> > applications which were installed by default. I have strongly the
> > impression that rpmsrate does need some serious clean-up, to
> > reflect the state of applications today.
> >
> > Anyway, here are my comments about KDE applications which were
> > installed by default.
[snip]
> > 8. kdeaccessibility: while this program can be useful, even
> > necessary, for some people, it is not to lots of other people. As
> > the same problem happens in Gnome, I would propose to create a
> > seperate category in the installer, which the user can check or
> > uncheck, depending on his needs.
> >
> > So, these are my most imporant comments. I have similar comments
> > about the default Gnome installation, and other desktop-irrelevant
> > packages, but these will have to wait tomorrow.
>
> Full agree on almost all points, excluding last one.
> Accessibility software should be installed by default - think!
> For me this should be a mandatory to install such software as a
> default, not every one like me or you are in 99,99% perfect.

99.99% would make me a very happy man. Alas, not true but am far better
than some old friends of mine.  It does need, IMHO, to be installed( as
well as improved ), but FGS, can't we turn it off by default?  It has
to be set properly anyway to be useful so anyone needing it is going to
have to set it up...
Perhaps a widget in the installer: Turn Accessibility On/Off.

Even better would be a way for accessibility to be setup _during_ the
install so it is fully configured. I think that would make MDV the only
mainstream distro to do that. 2008 maybe?

Linux Registered User 212962. Please Register at:
http://counter.li.org/ .
Get Folding now with MDK Team # 12501:
http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=12501
Mandriva 2007.1 x86_64 for Dual AMD Opteron 64 bit.