List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] rpmsrate & task-kde discussion: default KDE desktop
From:       Fabrice FACORAT <fabrice.facorat () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-13 11:43:14

Le mardi 13 février 2007, Frederik Himpe a écrit :
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2007 at 11:31:02PM +0100, Fabrice FACORAT wrote:
> > Le lundi 12 février 2007, Frederik Himpe a écrit :

> > > 1. In a default KDE applications, there are at least 3 different
> > > picture viewers installed (4 if you also count Digikam/Showfoto). This
> > > is really too much:
> > > kdegraphics-kuickshow (task-kde)
> > > kdegraphics-kview (rpmsrate)
> > > gwenview (rpmsrate)
> > > digikam (rpmsrate: digikamimageplugins kipi-plugins)
> > >
> > > Please only keep gwenview and digikam: they are the only ones which are
> > > being actively maintained, and have the best features and user
> > > interfaces.
> >
> > no, use kview instead of gwenview/kdegraphics-kuickshow because it's the
> > only one working with 3d desktop
>
> Installer could be made smart to install kview only if 3D desktop is
> enabled. Better of course is to fix 3D desktop or the apps, so they work
> correctly.

(1) special case handling leads to bug

> Anyway, are you sure it is not working? Here there is a screenshot which
> shows gwenview working in Beryl:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/archangel_raphael/272151933/
> I could not immediately find pointers on the net of general problems
> between gwenview and beryl, maybe it's a Mandriva specific problem that
> can be fixed easily?

maybe it works. i never use gwenview indeed. kview work fine, it disply the
image well and have good kpart integration.

> > > 3. kover (rpmsrate): application is dead for about 3 years, and is not
> > > rated very high
> > > (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=9968). People are
> > > better of using something like Scribus, Karbon or OOo Draw to make
> > > their cd covers (e.g.
> > > http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=24223 -
> > > http://www.kde-files.org/content/show.php?content=25107)
> >
> > are you crazy ?
>
> I'm only giving my opinion to start a discussion, I'm not trying to
> dictate some kind of "absolute truth"...
>
> Anyway, I think we should package these useful kind of templates for
> programs like OpenOffice.org.

packaging templates in OO ? ohh, there's an old bug about this. good luck

> > There's no equivalent, and kover is doing the job well enough for me. So
> > unless you have another cover application, don't ask me to install
> > scribus ( qt ), karbon ( full koffice ), and even OODraw ( mammouth )
>
> I am only talking about default install. OOo Draw is already in default
> install, so if you choose to remove it, I guess you are smart enough to
> know that you would need an alternative like kover for your cd covers.
> Maybe something in rpmsrate like: (if cat cd-burner and not cat office
> -> install kover)?

see point (1)

--
Tout le monde connaît les laborieuses populations du Cap