List:       mandrake-cooker
Subject:    Re: [Cooker] Critical bug, but no response!!
From:       Vincent Danen <vdanen () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2003-05-06 17:35:15

On Tue May 06, 2003 at 12:51:50PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> > Ummm...  I'm not fixing any of these.  To me, bugs in KDE are not
> critical,
> > and I don't know enough to attempt to fix them.  That's what
> maintainers are
> > for.  They can fix them, I'll do the rest (rebuild, test, release).
>
> Well, if there are too many bugs at release time, one of two things happen:
> 1)Mandrake is buggy, people potentially decide to drop it for another
> distro. IMHO, this is the release manager's problem to fix, so it's
> Warly's problem.
> 2)Vince spends time updating packages provided by maintainers fixing
> bugs that could have been fixed before release, this means people spend
> too much time installing updates and waste too much bandwidth on
> downloading them. This would be your problem.
>
> So, that's why I say you and Warly need to come to an arrangement, and
> publicise the policy on acceptable bug levels. Maybe threaten to drop
> packages with too many bugs at RC1 or so (yes, even kdebase).

Yes, all the bugs look bad.  I think it's fair to say that the majority of
bugs are fairly minor and are to be expected with an operating system
consisting of a few thousand apps.

At the same time, while dealing with updates is my problem, fixing them is
not (unless it's a security issue).  Bugfix updates should be coming from
the maintainer... if the maintainer isn't doing the bugfix updates, they're
not doing their job as far as I'm concerned.

Some maintainers are very good with this, some not so good.  =)

As far as I'm concerned, the "showstopper" or "critical" bugs should be
fixed in updates.  The other, minor, bugs should be left as is (that's just
my personal feeling).

It's actually insane the number of bug reports I'm getting that people think
are critical and must be updated immediately.  I really wonder what people's
definition of critical is.  =(

--
MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
Online Security Resource Book; http://linsec.ca/