List:       mageia-discuss
Subject:    Re: [Mageia-discuss] rpm or deb?
From:       Kristoffer_Grundström
Date:       2010-09-26 21:46:36

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
    <title></title>
  </head>
    Why not create a new format with the best of both worlds (if
    possible)?<br>
    .mageia ?<br>
    Hoyt Duff skrev 2010-09-26 19:44:
      cite="mid:AANLkTikB4oW2kPvk4Zsxyg4nZ2H1FmHHwWtAn=NRq_eG@mail.gmail.com"
      type="cite">
      <pre wrap="">On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 7:13 AM, RAVI KUMAR BALASUBRAMANIAM
<a class="moz-txt-link-rfc2396E" \
href="mailto:ravikumar17jan@gmail.com">&lt;ravikumar17jan@gmail.com&gt;</a> wrote: \
</pre>  <blockquote type="cite">
        <pre wrap="">only thing i hate about mandriva is its rpm based packages
i prefer apt and deb personally

</pre>
      <pre wrap=""> I can understand a personal preference, but why do you believe \
that deb is superior to rpm? Given that Mandriva is already rpm-based, what
benefit could be derived from abandoning the existing build system and
urpmi?

&gt;From everything I have read, neither system has a clear advantage over
the other, and the end result of using either is essentially the same.
I don't believe that changing to a deb-based system would provide any
significant benefit to justify the expense in terms of re-training
devs and  creating a new build system.

</pre>