List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Automatic upper case for citation? (using BibLaTeX)
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2009-04-29 10:57:01

Piero Faustini wrote:

> I find very annoying the fact that when citing with the verbose-trad
> styles of BibLaTeX and it switches to latinitates like "Id." and "Ibid.",
> LaTeX can't get it to have the correct upper/lower case (I bet this is NOT
> a BibLaTeX issue, but a LaTeX problem):
> - When citing at the beginning of a footnote, it puts them in lower case
> (so I have to manually switch "Force upper case" in the citation dialogue)
> - When citing after a dot of a abbreviated word (I for instnace use a lot
> the abbreviation "cfr." ("confronta") just before the citation) it
> swithches to UPPER CASE!!!!! And this time I can't force it to use lower
> case: I tried with small, protected or inter-word space: no way, and as it
> does not exist the opposite of "End of sentence", I can't have it
> recognize the abbreviation...
>
> I bet this problem could come back in other cases, e.g. textual "<on
> page>" cross-references.
>
> Is there a way to have this behave correctly?

I think no. It is a limitation of the biblatex punctuation system.

There are two problems that you should add to biblatex tracker :
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?atid=1126006&group_id=244752&func=browse

First an option to force capitalization at the start of the footnote, an
extension of \DeclareCapitalPunctuation{ characters }

Second an option to suppress capitalization if there is a special space
(like a protected space) after a punctuation that should normally requires a
xapital.

Whith these two additions, it will be possible to have

15. Ibid., p. 145

and

16. Cf. ibid, p. 147

I have also hit the same problem using biblatex but did not have the time to
report the problem. Maybe, you can do it.

Charles

--
http://www.kde-france.org