List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Graham Smith <graham.smith () myotis ! co ! uk>
Date:       2009-02-06 9:27:56

AB
>>> I might have missed something here (I'm sorry in that case) but are
>>> you suggesting a LyX-light version for people that does not want to
>>> use anything but word
>>>
>> Paradoxically yes.
>>

> I'd say: create converters that are shipped with LyX instead!
>
> If I may generalize a little....
> The word users are of two kinds: the largest part is the one that will
> never use anything but word no matte what you do. People is still
> educated to learn "Word" not writing and structuring documents. It is
> unfortunatly a waste of developer time to produce a LyX light version
> for these people, I'm affraid.

I agree with this,  I can't see any Word User installing a Lyx-Lite as a
way of collaborating. And if I could,  they would be the ones that I
would also be able to persuade to install Lyx. There may be other
reasons for a Lyx-Lite but this isn't one.

For collaboration we need a high quality converter (which I doubt is
possible, given how badly Microsoft, Open Office, Pages etc do with
converters) or a PDF based solution where we can enable the
collaboration features of Acrobat  Reader.

Graham