List:       lyx-users
Subject:    RE:  Re: Strategies for Writing Co-operation with Non-LyX Users?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2009-01-26 15:14:12

Vincent van Ravesteijn - TNW wrote:

> I hope LyX will soon have some new features that will ease this
> collaboration. As we won't be able to implement everything, it would be
> nice to know which feature would satisfy most users.

Having just finished editing a book, I think there is two phases in
collaborative work 1) you divide the writing (you do chapter 1, I'll write
chapter 2) the multiple steps of editing and ironing the text between the
editor, the authors and the publisher

For 1) Everybody can write in his favorite software and you can import the
doc file in LyX without much problems

For 2) what would be needed is a good cross-platform customized pdf reader
with annotations possibilities and a way to link these annotations to the
lyx document. I have used for my project Foxit which is not free but works
with Wine on Linux. Foxit has a very bad interface. Sadly annotations
support in poppler is unfinished.

Cheers,
Charles
--