List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: biblatex for Lyx 1.6.1, OSX
From:       rgheck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-01-05 21:08:11

jezZiFeR wrote:
>> Another possibility here would be to try to put the bib file in the
>> texmf tree. Since Jess was able to figure out where to put the
>> biblatex files, it ought now to be relatively easy to put the bib
>> file there, too.
>
> In this case I preferred not to put the folder there as I need to use
> the bib-file for various items. I would also be afraid of loss when
> updating or so.
> But this could be a neat method in some cases.

That's one reason to put it under your home (personal, user) directory.
Normally, your TeX distribution will define a "user" directory, where
you can put stuff that is "just yours". In your case, it's like to be
something like /Users/stefan/texmf/, but I don't know for sure, as I too
am not on Mac. But if that were right, then you could put your bib files
in /Users/stefan/texmf/bibtex/bib/, and they'd no more be lost on update
than any of your other "personal" files.

>> If the directory is preceded by !!, then you will definitely need to
>> run texhash
>
> I still donīt know what this is.

It may be that you're supposed to do this differently on Mac. Anyway,
texhash is a command that updates the databases TeX keeps to tell it
what's where. Any time you install a new package, or put a new file
somewhere in your TeX tree, you have to tell TeX to update those
databases. On Linux, you do this by running "sudo texhash". But on Mac,
maybe you do something else.

rh