List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: biblatex for Lyx 1.6.1, OSX
From:       jezZiFeR <jezzifer () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2009-01-05 21:26:02

>>> Another possibility here would be to try to put the bib file in
>>> the texmf tree. Since Jess was able to figure out where to put the
>>> biblatex files, it ought now to be relatively easy to put the bib
>>> file there, too.
>>
>> In this case I preferred not to put the folder there as I need to
>> use the bib-file for various items. I would also be afraid of loss
>> when updating or so.
>> But this could be a neat method in some cases.
>>
> That's one reason to put it under your home (personal, user)
> directory. Normally, your TeX distribution will define a "user"
> directory, where you can put stuff that is "just yours". In your
> case, it's like to be something like /Users/stefan/texmf/, but I
> don't know for sure, as I too am not on Mac. But if that were right,
> then you could put your bib files in /Users/stefan/texmf/bibtex/
> bib/, and they'd no more be lost on update than any of your other
> "personal" files.

Would I have to add the path in the preamble then?

>>> If the directory is preceded by !!, then you will definitely need
>>> to run texhash
>>
>> I still donīt know what this is.
>>
> It may be that you're supposed to do this differently on Mac.
> Anyway, texhash is a command that updates the databases TeX keeps to
> tell it what's where. Any time you install a new package, or put a
> new file somewhere in your TeX tree, you have to tell TeX to update
> those databases. On Linux, you do this by running "sudo texhash".
> But on Mac, maybe you do something else.

Ah, I guess that could be exactly what I would have to enter in the
Mac-terminal. As far as I know this is what the terminal is for: to
enter linux-commands. I entered the line without installing anything
and the terminal prompted me to enter my pw.

So I think I now also know, what running a texhash is. Thank you!

Best*
Jess