List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Experience using XeTeX with XeTeX?
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2008-10-09 9:37:06

=??B?SsO8cmdlbiBTcGl0em3DvGxsZXI=?= wrote:

>> are not installed.
>
> I would not talk of "moving". We should provide support for XeTeX, but not
> at the price of dropping support for other LaTeX variants. There will
> always be enough reasons to not use XeTeX (as long as it misses support
> for micro typographic extensions, I will not use it, for instance).

I would rather have one stable and solid LyX Way (unicode + xetex (and in
the future luatex) + opentype) and a possibility to export pdflatex code
for special reasons (like microtypography).

Having the possibility to switch the latex engine in the middle of creating
a document is a recipe for subtle problems (encoding, fonts). LyX users
should not care and know anything about subtle differences between LaTeX
engines.

I will not mourn the death of LaTeX inputenc, font system, DVI...

Cheers,
Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org