List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Spellchecker for LyX doesn't work as well as expected
From:       Andre Poenitz <andre.poenitz () mathematik ! tu-chemnitz ! de>
Date:       2008-03-12 18:40:16

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 10:21:11AM +0100, Dominik Böhm wrote:
> Hi there everyone,
>
> I just installed aspell German to use it with LyX. In general the spell
> checking works quite well, but some things doesn't work as smoothly as with
> Microsoft Word 2003: for example compound words. In German you cannot
> compound arbitrary words to new words. For example "Rechenmaschine" is a
> valid compound word whilst "Rechnemaschine" is not, though "Rechne" and
> "Maschine" are German words.

  echo "Rechnemaschine Rechne Rechenmaschine Maschine Konfiguration
  Einstellung Konfigurationseinstellung Konfigurationeinstellung " \
	| aspell -l de_DE -a

yields

  @(#) International Ispell Version 3.1.20 (but really Aspell 0.60.5)
  & Rechnemaschine 1 0: Rechenmaschine
  *
  *
  *
  *
  *
  # Konfigurationseinstellung 0
  # Konfigurationeinstellung 0

So it does not know about "Konfiguration*einstellung" (neither do I,
btw, it's like talking about "weisser Schimmel"...) but it recognizes
"Rechnemaschine" as error and even suggests the correct "Rechenmaschine"
as replacement.

From what I can tell it works just fine. Mayhbe your aspell
implmentation is broken or LyX is mis-configured.

> So, for German this compound setting seems to be pretty useless. But as we
> Germans tend to use a lot of compound words, it's still somehow a very
> important feature. Microsoft Word copes with our language rules very well.
>
> Another thing that I am missing compared to Word is a grammar checker.
> Writing long texts I often change sentences quite some times and sometimes
> the result doesn't make any sense as I see something different than I write.
> Thus, I would appreciate a grammer checker. Is aspell capable of checking
> (German) grammar?

There are no really good open source grammar checkers that I am aware of.

> I hope some of you cannot only understand my problems but will also be able
> to provide a working solution.

Maybe sticking to MS Word is an option.

Andre'