List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Languages British vs English
From:       Charles de Miramon <cmiramon () kde-france ! org>
Date:       2008-03-10 11:46:43

Liviu Andronic wrote:

> On 3/10/08, Phillip Ferguson
> <phillip.ferguson@strath.ac.uk> wrote:
>>  Why is there an English language option and British language option?
>>  What is the difference? Is this an American vs English English?

Hyphenation rules are different in British English and in American English
and the formatting of the date (used in the macro \today) is not the same.

>>  Could shouldn't these be label correctly as this is very confusing, as
>>  far as I know there is no British language!

I guess British think that American English is just English with mistakes...

> What always perturbed me is that LyX actually contains an entry for
> the "American" language. Politically correct formulations (e.g.
> English (the US); English (the UK)) would look much nicer.

For LaTeX, Austrian is also a dialect of German and Flemish a dialect of
Dutch. Time to start a revolution ;-)

Charles
--
http://www.kde-france.org