List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Safety from data reorganization?
From:       "G. Milde" <g.milde () quantentunnel ! de>
Date:       2008-03-10 11:30:19

On  9.03.08, Paul A. Rubin wrote:
> Steve Litt wrote:
>> Hi all,

>> I just lost my entire book structure due to a small modification to my
>> layout file that prevented compilation. LyX therefore reverted the
>> book's document class from my custom "rjustbook" to "article", removing
>> all chapters and flattening out the table of contents.

I always close a document without saving if I come across such warnings.

With just one saving, the backup copy (mybook.lyx~) will still contain the
custom environments. So a `cp mybook.lyx~ mybook.lyx` saves you the tedious
hand-reverting.

>> Shame on me, my last backup was 5 days old. But still, it would have
>> been nice for LyX to say "hey, your layout file just became bad. Do you
>> REALLY want me to revert your document class to "article", or would you
>> like to save as (the broken) "whatever" document class so you can fix
>> the problem without losing content?"

I also vote for a more save handling of such automatic conversions
that can indeed delete lots of information from the document.

> A simple solution might be for LyX to automatically treat the document
> as if it were a template it decides the layout is broken -- change to
> article or whatever, but in read-only mode, so that you can only save
> the modified document under a new name.  That would leave the original
> (now presumably broken) version intact.

This is a nice idea, I hope it is easy to implement and look forward to
see it in the next version.

Günter