List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: Languages British vs English
From:       "G. Milde" <g.milde () quantentunnel ! de>
Date:       2008-03-10 11:47:08

On 10.03.08, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> On 3/10/08, Phillip Ferguson <phillip.ferguson@strath.ac.uk> wrote:
> >  Why is there an English language option and British language option?
> >  What is the difference? Is this an American vs English English?
> >
> >  Could shouldn't these be label correctly as this is very confusing,
> >  as far as I know there is no British language!

> What always perturbed me is that LyX actually contains an entry for
> the "American" language. Politically correct formulations (e.g.
> English (the US); English (the UK)) would look much nicer.

Well, for me the names of the English variants were always
"British English" and "American English".

My suggestion for the Document>Settings>Languaes list would be

  English (American)       # or English (US)
  English (British)

in a similar way to e.g.

  Chinese (new spelling)
  Chinese (traditional)

This way, the English variants are close to another in the
alphabetical listing which facilitates the choice by offering
alternatives in one place.

It would also make sufficiently clear that American English is

- not *the* English dialect
- not *the* language of the american continent

Günter