List:       lyx-users
Subject:    Re: LyX Qt under Gnome environment
From:       Raymond Ouellette <ray.ouellette () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2008-01-18 2:00:21

Le jeudi 17 janvier 2008 08:20:09 +0100
Guido Milanese <guido.milanese@unicatt.it> écrivait :
Questions:
> (1) is compilation on Ubuntu difficult? I thinks that compiling and
> installing manually should avoid the problem I mentioned;
> (2) if (1) is not practical, can anyone suggest all the symlink that
> I should set up to persuade Synaptic that I have already a TeX system
> running?

1. Compilation would probably be your best choice. The only thing is to
have all the necessary packages already installed. These packages have
-dev in their name.

a) first, desinstall your old LyX: sudo apt-get remove lyx lyx-common
b) download lyx_1.5.3 sources and decompress in a temporary repertory
   tar xvfj /home/yourname/tmp/lyx-1.5.3.tar.bz2
c) cd tmp/lyx-1.5.3
d) you may read the install instructions: less INSTALL (q to quit)
e) be sure you have everything to compile, this means for LyX-Qt:
   sudo apt-get install libqt4-core libqt4-dev qt4-qtconfig python-qt4
   python-qt4-dev build-essential
I may forget other packages...
f) ./configure --prefix=/usr
   don't forget the dot before /configure, the --prefix=/usr switch is
   for an installation in the same directory as it was in Ubuntu 7.10
g) if everything is OK, you will see the message inviting you to
   continue by typing make
   otherwise, an error message will probably cite the name of the
   missing library, install it with sudo apt-get install thename AND
   press Tab for suggestion and auto-completion, take the -dev package
h) a compilation is OK when it ends with these words (or similar):
   Leaving xyz directory
   Nothing to be done for all.
i) Finally you have 2 choices for installation:
   1- sudo make install
      and hop it goes! You will have to add LyX manually in your menu.
   2- sudo checkinstall (but you have to install before checkinstall by
      typing sudo apt-get install checkinstall)
      checkinstall will create a .deb package of LyX 1.5.3. This wy it
      is very easy to uninstall or install on a similar system.

I understand that a checkinstall package is not a .deb with the rules
of art, but for your own use, it is usefull and easy. You can safely
erase all the files in /tmp/lyx... except the lyx-1.5.3 deb file that
you just create. If you never compile LyX before, be patient, it may
take 10 to 30 minutes depending of your PC.

Good luck!

Raymond

Édité et transmis avec des logiciels libres sous Linux !