List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: r29444 - lyx-devel/trunk/src/support
From:       Enrico Forestieri <forenr () lyx ! org>
Date:       2009-04-30 9:40:55

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:43:51AM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Will this be working with UTF16 file names? I see that CreateFile is a
> macro that is expanded to CreatedFileW on MSVC2008...

I am not proficient with Windows APIs and none of
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363858(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247(VS.85).aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa363874(VS.85).aspx
shed any light for me. What I thought is that toFilesystemEncoding()
should do the right thing and that CreateFile should follow.
I don't know the internals, but if the docs to CreateFile don't
tell me anything about the encoding, I assume that I can pass any
of the two possible encodings and they will be dealt with correctly.
For what I know, CreateFile could use the W or A APIs according
to whatever succeeds, but this is a speculation of mine.
I generally try to stay away from direct exposure to Windows and
use the Cygwin shield, which worked well for me until now ;-)

--
Enrico