List:       lyx-devel
Subject:    Re: LyX Outliner and Corkboard - Feature Proposal
From:       rgheck <rgheck () bobjweil ! com>
Date:       2009-03-05 22:05:36

Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> rgheck <rgheck@bobjweil.com> writes:
>

>> Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
>>
>>> 2. implement the possibility to add comments to the outliner items.
>>> As Helge wrote, these will need to be stored in the document (as
>>> specific properties). I suppose this would be much easier to
>>> implement after LyX's file format switched to XML, something that is
>>> planned for the immediate future, but still needs thought and
>>> action.
>>>

>> I'd think this was fairly simple. Right now, you could do it like this
>> in the document:
>>    \begin_layout Section
>>    \comment Here is the comment.
>>    Section text as before.
>>

> Why not special types of note insets? We want them in the document too.

You could do that, but the problem with that kind of solution, as I see
it, is that you then have to keep the note insets in the right place.
This is the same issue as with InsetOptArg. It shouldn't be an inset.
It's a layout feature. And because it's an inset, you have to make sure
it doesn't get moved to the end of the sentence, and it gets handled
properly if the layout gets changed, etc. All of which is really
artificial and therefore prone to error. I'd much rather InsetOptArg
worked the same way.

As for displaying them in the document, how and whether they get drawn
is presumably independent of their representation. I was thinking they
would NOT be shown in the document but rather in some dialog, but they
can be shown if we wish.

Richard