List:       linux-sony
Subject:    [Linux-sony] lcd driver noise
From:       Dave Robbins <drobbins () zapo ! net>
Date:       2002-12-25 21:02:12

THanks for the web links and responces that is great.

What is interesting is that I noticed the screen noise problem on dim
after upgrading to WinXP pro Srv. Pack 1 and installing the driver
updates on Sony's web site.  The noise can not be herd on full bright.
On dim it can be heard 30 ft away.

MicroSoft would not recognize my video driver after upgrade so I had to
reinstall the lcd driver from the stock CD's.  I noticed that this is
not the same driver as what came with the laptop installed.  The stock
cd's installed a digital flat panel 1024x768 screen.    When i hit
driver details i am told no drivers are installed for this devise yet I
ran sony's setup.

Would someone check there properties and write back with the there
monitor type properties for windows.  I know this is a linux post...
please bear with me I would like to get this laptop fixed and running
well with xp before installing redhat.

Anyways what I think the noise problem is is a software issue.

This is also interesting Intel has a more recent chipset driver -
intergrated video then what sony has posted:

Intel(R) 815 and Intel 810 chipset family graphics driver.
WIN2K_XPM67.EXE] (4398KB) 6.7  8/23/2002

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?
ProductID=797

Sony

Intel® 82815 Graphics Controller Driver Utility

Last Modified:  05/22/02 Version:   6.13.1.2872b INB72BXNDI.EXE (5.59
MB)

Also about installing linux I have both drevices for the firwire cdrom
and usb floppy.  Is it possible to some how not do a ftp install and
some how install from a usb floppy?

OK hear are all the noises I have from this machine:

Constant hum.. it is bearable (is this the fan?)
lcd screen on dim ... unbarable hum sound
Hard drive noise when yellow light is on... quick chatter ..
Growl sound when I open many files... maybe this is the fan

I don't really want to send this thing back to sony and have them mess
it up.  I still am thinking the LCD driver hum sound is a software issue.

Thanks

Dave