List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: RealPlayer Stability
From:       Simon Piette <spiette () generation ! net>
Date:       2000-07-05 14:50:22

Hi,

* Peter Park (yuki68@ix.netcom.com) [000705 02:27]:

> I'm a newbie (actually I'm only thinking of getting Linux so not EVEN a newbie with \
> Linux), so I hope I don't sound too stupid in contributing my 2 cents worth.
> I have just one comment:  RealPlayer is UNSTABLE period!  They seem to do a little \
> better job with their Windows releases, but I have always had problems with MacOS \
> versions.  The player crashing with use of buttons, menus, etc., was quite \
> prominent with version 5.x for Mac.  I currently run version 6.0.6 which seems to \
> be a little better.  I have never been able to get version 7 to work.  I tried to \
> run all these with system extensions off too but only a slight improvement.  Even \
> with 6.0.6, very frequently I have to uninstall and reinstall completely after a \
> crash.  I'm not sure of the Linux version, but with Mac version, RealPlayer litters \
> the systems folder with a ton of supporting files.  It seems that these can get \
> corrupted VERY easily.  Only way to fish out the corrupted file is to uninstall \
> everything.  Also, RealPlayer has very frequently included files that are \
> incompatible between different versions.  I'm not sure if there has been more than \
> one version for Linux, but if you have an older version, you have to uninstall your \
> old version COMPLETELY to make sure conflict don't exist.

I am not sure if this the good place to talk about reliability of
RealPlayer on the Mac.  Anyway.

We heard on the list a few people having some problems with RP7, but
maybe we didn't heard enough of people without problems, as me :-)

It didn't crash since I got it (3 days ago), and I've been running it for hours ...

This is the first release of the thing on LinuxPPC, so just relax a bit.
Even if the product is released as "Community supported", we got a guy
from Real who listen to people getting problems.

Have you ever seen, in the Help Menu, there is an item named "Bug
Reporting", just below "Product Feedback". I guess it's also there in
the Mac version. You could use it, to inform (not to bitch on) Real
developpers about the problems you have on the respective platforms you
use. Sure, the fix won't be there the next day, as it's often the case
with free software, but you should have some results after a while.

> As far as I'm concerned, Quick Time rules!  It's rock stable on a Mac, and I \
> haven't had any problems on a Windows machine either.  If Quick Time hasn't made it \
> to Linux yet, I think a petition is in order!

Maybe, but not a build ...

Until now, Real is a company that made many of its products avaiable
for Linux (and many other flavor of Unix), including servers, encoders
and players. We can't say that about Apple ... (Or any others
closed-source companies anyway)

Cheers (and have fun with Linux),

Simon Piette

--
PGP key ID: 1024D/99290743 	Simon Piette <spiette@generation.net>
PGP Key fingerprint: 9AF9 33F9 A900 E153 9DF3  0625 8928 CB52 9929 0743

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/