List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re: RealPlayer Stability
From:       Peter Park <yuki68 () ix ! netcom ! com>
Date:       2000-07-05 6:19:18

I'm a newbie (actually I'm only thinking of getting Linux so not EVEN a newbie with \
Linux), so I hope I don't sound too stupid in contributing my 2 cents worth.

I have just one comment:  RealPlayer is UNSTABLE period!  They seem to do a little \
better job with their Windows releases, but I have always had problems with MacOS \
versions.  The player crashing with use of buttons, menus, etc., was quite prominent \
with version 5.x for Mac.  I currently run version 6.0.6 which seems to be a little \
better.  I have never been able to get version 7 to work.  I tried to run all these \
with system extensions off too but only a slight improvement.  Even with 6.0.6, very \
frequently I have to uninstall and reinstall completely after a crash.  I'm not sure \
of the Linux version, but with Mac version, RealPlayer litters the systems folder \
with a ton of supporting files.  It seems that these can get corrupted VERY easily.  \
Only way to fish out the corrupted file is to uninstall everything.  Also, RealPlayer \
has very frequently included files that are incompatible between different versions.  \
I'm not sure if there has been more than one version for Linux, but if you have an \
older version, you have to uninstall your old version COMPLETELY to make sure \
conflict don't exist.

As far as I'm concerned, Quick Time rules!  It's rock stable on a Mac, and I haven't \
had any problems on a Windows machine either.  If Quick Time hasn't made it to Linux \
yet, I think a petition is in order!

Peter H. Park, MD

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/