List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re:  RealPlayer stability
From:       Warren Nagourney <warren () dirac ! phys ! washington ! edu>
Date:       2000-07-05 1:56:39

I assume UP means "uniprocessor". Do you have a recommendation of a recent
UP kernel? I am using 2.2.15pre15 and RealPlayer crashes with the slightest
provocation - in my case, increasing the network load kills it (I am using
a 28.8 modem).

Thanks.

Warren Nagourney

--On Tue, Jul 4, 2000 6:30 PM -0700 Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com> wrote:

> I think I've tracked down one limitation of RealPlayer on PPC - it's
> multithreaded but isn't SMP-compatible.
>
> I tried the "NetworkingThreading=0" without any noticable effect.
>
> I'd been having very predictable crashes (segfault) whenever I tried
> to play a network stream.  I collected a handful of stack crawls, all
> different, except that the crash always seems to be in a new or
> delete operator.  I rebooted with a UP kernel and the crashes went
> away - I was able to press the Take5 button without a crash.
>
> I'll hazard a guess that there's race conditions that can lead to
> heap corruption if the wrong thread wins.
>
> --
> Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com>

Warren Nagourney   <warren@dirac.phys.washington.edu>  Voice: 206-543-9585
University of Washington                                      206-543-0143
Physics Dept., Box 351560, Seattle, WA 98195             Fax: 206-685-0635

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/