List:       linux-ppc
Subject:    Re:  RealPlayer stability
From:       Scott Lindsey <wombat () gobe ! com>
Date:       2000-07-05 1:30:59

I think I've tracked down one limitation of RealPlayer on PPC - it's
multithreaded but isn't SMP-compatible.

I tried the "NetworkingThreading=0" without any noticable effect.

I'd been having very predictable crashes (segfault) whenever I tried
to play a network stream.  I collected a handful of stack crawls, all
different, except that the crash always seems to be in a new or
delete operator.  I rebooted with a UP kernel and the crashes went
away - I was able to press the Take5 button without a crash.

I'll hazard a guess that there's race conditions that can lead to
heap corruption if the wrong thread wins.

--
Scott Lindsey <wombat@gobe.com>

** Sent via the linuxppc-user mail list. See http://lists.linuxppc.org/